Treasures in Ink

Saturday, March 29, 2014

Goliath

by Ayrian Stone, September 2009


I just encountered a giant, and it wasn’t what I expected.
I just ran face to face with an idol, and I didn’t recognize it.
Chains snapped ‘round my wrists. Despair twisted into my heart.
Demands issued from the idol’s mouth: “Bow down and feed me,
Offer the best of what you have, and I’ll shred it to pieces.
Then ask you to do it again. I’ll take and maybe give,
But only if you please me and serve me whatever I ask.”

Then slowly I began to awaken, like a dreamer from a clogging dream.
Gentleness murmured my name, drew me with grace-filled hands.
Who is it I’m serving? Who is it I should fear?
Not a pride-made goliath, not a devouring, soul-hungry giant.
I adore the Lord my God. Before Him only will I bow.
Ah, the breath of freedom! The joy of release sweeps in!
I spin on the road of liberty, mercy abounding, lovely and sweet.
Christ alone commands my future—I’ll worship and glory at His holy feet.

No comments:

Post a Comment