Treasures in Ink

Friday, January 23, 2015

Triumphant Reality


I don’t live in this reality.
I live in the Reality of my Father in Heaven. I don’t belong here.
I belong to my Redeemer who became a servant upon earth but rules from all eternity. When I live in this world, despair, self-pity, and fear flood my soul. When I lift my gaze to my Heavenly Bridegroom, joy, hope, and assurance pour into my heart. My mind is refreshed and renewed with Faithful Promises from Scripture and the sweet, gentle voice of the Holy Spirit.
He is in me. I am not my own (I Corinthians 6:19-20). I don’t belong to myself any more than I belong to the world or people like me. I belong to a Risen Savior, a Resurrected Christ who never sinned and didn’t stay in the grave. He defeated death and the fear of death for me. Hallelujah! “Oh, death where is your sting? Oh grave, where is your victory?” (I Corinthians 15:55).

I don’t belong here. I walk in flesh and blood, but this body is a garment that I’ll one day put off and exchange for immortality (II Corinthians 5:1-4). In the meantime, my spirit is being rejuvenated every day, transformed into the glory of God as I throw open wide the doors of my mind and heart to Him—His Presence, His Truth (II Corinthians 3:18). Jesus is the Way, the Truth, and the Life (John 14:6). He is a Person, and He is passionately pursuing intimacy with every person He created.

The Bible says, “Let all those rejoice who put their trust in You! Let them ever shout for Joy because You defend them. Let those also who love Your name be joyful in You. For You, O Lord, will bless the righteous. With favor You will surround him as with a shield” (Psalm 5:11-12).

Do you hear the exuberance in that? The utter triumph? David is rejoicing with all his might—David who brought down Goliath and hid from Saul for years before he was anointed king. God fulfilled His promise, but David learned to worship when nothing was going well. His wife and children were stolen, his men wanted to stone him, the Israelite army pursued him. How could he rejoice? What was going right? His relationship with God! His favor! His anointing! David believed in the faithful love of God, and he rejoiced in it!

Even later in his life, after he became king, circumstances seldom went smooth. He fell to temptation, his favorite son rebelled, his other sons were slain by an older brother. His land was plagued by an angel of judgment when he became proud and numbered the able-bodied men. God was moved by David’s heart, though, and forgave him and intervened time and again. And in the midst of it all, David praised the Lord. He LOVED the Presence of God. He knew that in God only were joy and pleasure found (Psalm 16:11).

David lived in a reality above the earthly realm. And he learned how to worship in the very middle of disaster and touch the Father’s heart. He knew how greatly the Father longed to fellowship with him, and he recognized rightly that the blood of animal sacrifices could never take away his sin. Rather, a broken and contrite heart releases mercy from the heart of God (Psalm 51:16-17).

Jesus said, “I Am”(John 8:58). He is the Reality Today that we’re called to abide in. Abide: Make our home, dwell, rest, remain. Why? Because He is the safety we crave. He is the Joy, the Peace, the Delight, the Freedom, and the Strength we desperately need.

We look for pleasure in sex, material possessions, games, and addictions. We look for strength in intelligence, body building, and weapons. We look for peace in compromise, control, and global treaties. But none of these things satisfy. Why? Because we were made for more. More goodness. More holiness. More glory than this world can imagine or ever offer. Only Jesus can.

All we have to do to receive these precious gifts is embrace His reality. Really. Just walk in. His arms are open and all the hosts of Heaven are holding their breath…

Waiting.

No comments:

Post a Comment