Treasures in Ink

Friday, October 7, 2011

Freedom

Jesus, Jesus,

There’s a playground built up in my mind
All the free rides a girl could want.
Except there’s chains attached and I feel the weight upon my soul.
The devil lies and says the price is paid
For every ride I take.
But a lifelong pass to self-indulgence,
shreds my joy and robs my faith--
stealing everything that's You.
It's sad to say the playground's here
When You've torn it down before.
The lures, the taunts, the whispered lies,
The counterfeit image waltzing like grace.
Addictions don’t stop with stronger resistance,
Not when the playground music’s still playing.
You come with a sledgehammer
to smash up those rides.
But it’s my mind and I get to choose.
Grace traded in for a license to sin.
Oh, God, did I do it again?
“You’re part of Me,” You say and swing that hammer high.
“My lovely bride; I want you pure and without blame.”
Oh, Jesus, I choose: I relinquish all hold
On masquerades that only poison the soul.
So shatter these thoughts, the proud imaginations of my heart.
Replace with good the ugliness, and take me in Your arms again.

"So since we’re out from under the old tyranny [of the law], does that mean we can live any old way we want? Since we’re free in the freedom of God, can we do anything that comes to mind? Hardly. You know well enough from your own experience that there are some acts of so-called freedom that destroy freedom. Offer yourselves to sin, for instance, and it’s your last free act. But offer yourselves to the ways of God and the freedom never quits."  Romans 6:15-17, The Message Bible (brackets mine)

No comments:

Post a Comment